Recipe – MommaMia’s Mac Salad

Tips from The Shed:

• Make the Mac Juice early so it can rest and absorb the flavors.
  • When chopping bell peppers make sure to clean out all seeds.
  • Use fresh seasonings especially the black pepper.
  • Use a good quality finely shredded cheese

Mac Juice:

• 2 ¼ C Mayonnaise
  • 1 ¾ C Sour Cream
  • 1 Tbs Dijon Mustard
  • ½ Tbs Black Pepper
  • 1 tsp Kosher Salt
  • ¾ C white sugar
  • 1/3 C Cider Vinegar
  • 1 ½ tsp onion powder
  • 2 tsp garlic salt

Directions:

• Mix all ingredients in large container starting with the wet ingredients and stirring in the dry.
  • Refrigerate and let rest for a couple hours.
  • Save some juice to refresh the next day’s leftovers or to add a little goodness to anything. This is a great base for recipes

Mac Ingredients:

• 2 large purple onions diced
  • 2 large green bell peppers diced
  • 3 Cups shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 5 Cups large pasta shell noodles

Directions:

• Salt the water before boiling the noodles.
  • Add noodles and 1 Tbs oil to keep noodles from sticking together.
  • Mix it all together and enjoy!

MommiaMia likes it right out of the pot and some like it cold.

This entry was posted in Recipes and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Recipe – MommaMia’s Mac Salad

1. Russ says:

So simple yet so complex. OH! and of course, oh so DELISH!!!

2. Red says:

Yum! The best mac salad … evvverrrrrrr … and such a breeze to make. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

3. Joy Ledet says:

This mac salad is wonderful! My family just loves it.

4. Jessica says:

I crave this mac salad & have tried to duplicate it so many times. Needless to say I have failed & now I have “the” recipe…lol THANK YOU!!

5. Mary Jo Goldstrohm says:

Saw you on Regis Kelly and had to eat there when I cane to visit a friend in Ocean Springs Just was there on Saaturday . I never eat bake beans because I have never kiked them before Sat. I was searching for Grandma. recipe but can,t find it. Trying to take it back home to Pittsburgh , Pa Hope you can help

6. Rachael says:

Can you please post your potato salad recipe? I would come to The Shed all the time and get it if I could, but I live in Boston! And I need it in my life, it’s the best I’ve ever tasted!

7. Carolyn S Tyler says:

You need to publish a cookbook. People will still come to the shed for the great food and atmosphere!

8. Jessica says:

I made the recipe after failing many times at trying to duplicate, but mine came out way to sweet when I made it. I am am addicted to the Mac salad & am going to try again, but did anyone else’s come out to sweet? Ya’ll fricken rock BEST FOOD EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Gaylynn says:

The Mac juice is very tasty. You said it’s a great base for other recipes. Can you give me some suggestions?

• A salad dressing, baked potato topping, casserole dishes, probably with some lime and Caribbean spices could be used to make a marinade for fish. The possibilities are endless, send us your recipe, and we will post it!

10. Ashley says:

Does anyone know if the 5 cups of pasta means 5 cups of cooked or uncooked pasta shells?

11. Ashley says:

Does anyone know if the 5 cups of pasta the recipe calls for means 5 cups of cooked or uncooked pasta?

12. Barbara says:

Is this ‘Mac juice’ also used in your potato salad? I’d LOVE to have that potato salad recipe!

13. Rickie Robbins says:

I made this last Sunday and my whole family loved it ! They all said it was the best they have ever tasted !!!! This is definitely a recipe I will continue to make….on ALL occassions !

14. Arlene says:

This is one of the best side dishes I have ever ate!! Soooo good!!

15. Larry says:

I live in the Philippines, visited The Shead Ocean Springs last year. I thank you for the mac salad recipe, now please give the baked beans and potato salad recipe. Great food, found out about you through a BBQ show on TLC.

• Hello! So glad you like the Mac Salad! I’m Mommia Mia and that’s my recipe. The beans are my Mother’s (G-Maw’s) recipe. I can give you a rundown of what is in them: sauteed Bacon, bell pepper and onion. Onion powder, brown sugar, salt and pepper, cumin, little shedspread (You can order on line) a little molasses and Bushes Beans! That’s it! The Potato Salad is the only thing we don’t make in house at The Shed. Why reinvent the wheel when that one is SO good!

16. Dawn says:

How many servings is this?? Just wanted to make it for 2/3 people not a whole lot thanks

17. Lore says:

Thanks so much, as I was doing Pasta Salad for todays BBQ anyway I just took the recipe for the Mac Sauce and put it into my salad – it made it so much better!

18. Loved the show, Diners, Drive Ins & Dives. I drooled! Watching the prep of the food. I wrote down (very quickly) the ingredients for Momma Mia’s Mac Salad. A few days ago, I decided to attempt to make it for tailgaiting the University of Memphis game this weekend. THEN I GET A FACEBOOK PHOTO OF THE FLOOD.

Guys,

I am so sorry that you have lost your original location. To my surprise, 2 of my friends in Memphis TN, have been to your Ocean Springs location and shared the photo.

God bless.

19. We are SO glad you are a ShedHed! Thank you so very much for ‘supporking’ us! Have you been to The Shed since the fire? It is amazing! A testament to tenacity and determination. You will be really proud to be a part of our ShedHed Nation!

20. Karen-

Coming from MamaShed and I quote, “I can’t tell you for sure, but it is a large family bowl size”. I hope this helps.

Thanx